One of Australia’s most fiercely independent writers, Antony Loewenstein, has just released a major film, Disaster Capitalism, It should be required viewing for anyone with an interest in social justice.
Loewenstein has been a long-time supporter and writer for New Matilda. Below is the latest on what he’s been up to.
At a time of global instability, courtesy of Trump, proxy wars, xenophobia and a range of other ills, how we document these movements is vital. US radio program On The Media covers the far-right and how journalists should tackle the rise of white nationalist extremism in the age of Trump.
My recent work:
– Investigation in the Sydney Morning Herald/Melbourne Age into the strange case of accused sexual predator Malka Leifer and her court case in Israel.
– My film Disaster Capitalism with New York film-maker Thor Neureiter continues to screen across the world including in New York, Australia, UK, Pakistan (Islamabad and Karachi) and beyond. Many more events to come. Here’s the Q&A after the US premiere at Columbia University with director Neureiter plus a range of experts on the aid sector and my appearance at a screening in Newcastle, north-east Britain.
You can organise a screening, all details here.
– Some of my recent interviews about the film: Melbourne radio Triple R interview, interview in Australian outlet Crikey and NGO Aid Watch analysis.
– Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters recently toured Australia and spent one night in Melbourne in conversation with Palestinian writer Randa Abdel-Fattah and me about politics and Palestine. Here’s the full video.
– Essay/memoir in Australian literary journal Meanjin on Israel/Palestine and Jewish identity.
– Interview on Sydney radio program Think: Digital Futures on disaster capitalism in Puerto Rico after the recent hurricane.
– My book review in the Weekend Australian newspaper on the war correspondent John Martinkus and his fine work since 9/11.
– ABC Australia interview on the US embassy move to Jerusalem.
– The Wire news radio interview on violence in Gaza and US role in the Middle East.
– Aid organisation CUFA, operating in Asia and across the Pacific, have launched a podcast series about aid and development and I’m the first guest.
– My Disaster Capitalism book is to be published in Arabic in 2019 with one of the Middle East’s biggest publishers.