A- A A+  

A third of turtles found dead on NZ beaches had ingested plastic

Ged Cann |  30 August 2017

A third of turtles found dead on New Zealand beaches have swallowed plastic, an expert says, and single-use shopping bags are the most common culprit.


Dan Godoy, of Massey University's Coastal-Marine Research Group, said the turtles' intestinal tract got blocked when they mistook soft plastics for jellyfish, resulting in "horrific" deaths.
"They can't digest food, and they basically slowly die," Godoy said.

 


Similar articles

June 2017 Edition of Faith Doing Justice

Cecily McNeill | 30 June 2017

While pondering the issues in our planet this month, two stories particularly caught my eye. One is that of a Syrian violinist, Alaa Arsheed, who looks at his shattered, wartorn world through an artist’s eye, using his talent to turn his apparently hopeless situation around. The other story is about those who buy shares in a company then challenge the company’s unjust practices at board level.


Luxury lodge’s water plan angers Northlanders

Lois Williams | 31 August 2017

A luxury Northland resort's plan to take up to 60,000 litres of water a day from a local creek to irrigate its lawns has angered a nearby landowner and local Māori.


The war for water: a battle at boiling point

Kirsty Johnston | 31 August 2017


It was the summer of 1983 when Poroti Springs first ran dry. The watercress stopped growing, the eels disappeared and the koura died, unable to survive as their habitat turned to dust, writes Kirsty Johnston for NZ Herald.


NZ Pure wants to send millions of litres of pure Waikato water offshore

 | 31 August 2017

Millions of litres of crystal clear spring water could be bottled and shipped overseas in a proposal backed by the local council. NZ Pure Blue Springs Limited wants to take from Putaruru's Blue Spring in the Waihou River more than the amount of water currently being pulled from the Waikato for bottling.